Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thilakan completely dismissed from the film organisation.

Veteran Malayalam actor Thilakan who has angered the Association of Malayalam Movie Artistes (AMMA) with his utterances against film celebrities was Monday dismissed from the film organisation on grounds of indiscipline. His dismissal came after an angry exchange between the veteran and members of the executive committee of AMMA at a meeting here in the night. Addressing reporters, its president Innocent said that Thilakan has been removed from the rolls of AMMA. The executive committee was not convinced about the explanation given by him. His conduct and his statement against the members of AMMA and the organization was an act of indiscipline and he did not apologise for that. So to keep the discipline of the organization intact, we have removed him from the membership of AMMA, said Innocent. He added that Thilakan could continue to act in films. He can continue to act and there is no bar on AMMA members to interact with him, said Innocent. Reacting to his dismissal, Thilakan told reporters that he was not surprised. I knew that this was bound to happen. I am aged 74 and am an actor for the past 54 years and I have never been in such a position. They did not look at my age, my failing health and my seniority in the industry, said Thilakan. On March 1 Thilakan was suspended from the AMMA after failing to appear before the committee on two occasions. For the past two months Thilakan is in dispute with various film workers organisations, including the AMMA, for his utterances against some superstars and select directors. I will decide my next course of action after finding out if the executive committee of AMMA has the powers to dismiss a member. If I find they do not have the powers then I will approach the court of law, said Thilakan.

No comments: